Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Creamy tomato basil soup

I got this recipe from Lexi and I have made it once a week since then. I love it. I cut down the sugar by about half and add more basil and less cream, but it is great as is.

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

1 medium onion finely chopped

1/2 cup butter

3-14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes (or fresh)

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. basil, or to taste

1 Tbsp. Chicken bullion

2-14.5 ounce cans chicken broth

1 cup whipping cream


Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion, bullion, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on a low heat until onion is tender. Add tomatoes with juice and heat until warm. Place these ingredients into a blender, blending thoroughly. You’ll probably have to repeat this step 2 or 3 times as it’s not possible to fit it all in the blender. Return mixture to saucepan adding chicken broth and cream or milk. Heat and serve with garnish of freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serves 6-8.

2 comments:

The Headrick Family said...

Thanks for posting this I was going to ask you! Now if I could just get it out of the back of my car.... :)

mike and amy vb said...

Yummy, yummy!! I am glad that you posted all of these. Thanks. Miss you!!