Friday, December 11, 2009

My New Favorite Burritos

So I decided that I better contribute something to this blog since I was the only one who hasn't posted anything. I haven't really made anything spectacular lately, or even really exciting enough to post, plus I don't have a camera so I can't post pictures. However, we did have burritos the other night and I am kind of obsessed with them. They were very delicious, nutritious, easy, and equally fabulous with meat or without (Im kind of into being vegetarian right now). I used some ideas from other people, and put in my own little changes, so here they are!

Cilantro Lime Rice
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsn lime juice (plus a little more cause I like it stronger)
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsn chopped fresh cilantro
dash of minced garlic (or however much you want)
1 cup uncooked white rice

Bring water, chicken broth, and lime juice to a boil. Add rice and garlic and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is soft and the water is absorbed. Stir in lime zest, sugar, and cilantro.

Black Beans and Corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 to 1 full can of corn (I only used a half can and I thought it was perfect, but full would be fine too I think)
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce plus enough water added to equal 1 1/4 cups
cumin
chile powder
garlic salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together. This needs to be simmered for a little bit because it is a little runny. I let it cook down for probably 10 minutes and it was perfect.

Burritos:
Tortilla shells of your choice
Cilantro lime rice
Black beans and corn
Any shredded beef, pork, or chicken, if desired (we used Mom's mexican meat mix, cause we had some in the freezer and it was delicious)
Avocado cut into chunks (we opted to use chunks instead of guac, and I strongly recommend it; it was great)
Fresh tomatos
Sour cream
Cheese
Whatever else you want-olives, lettuce, salsa... I didn't use these things, but it would probably be good. I also am thinking about adding some mild (green) enchilada sauce. I think it would be great.

Anyway, these were way easy and very affordable, and they were very fresh and light. You should try them! And if not I will make them as one of our Christmas meals. Ciao!

3 comments:

The Headrick Family said...

love it thanks Lori! I am excited to try them...if not before maybe at Christmas!

Trent and Kim said...

These sound delicious Lori! Good Job! I don't think I will get them made before we come in 4 DAYS! Wooh!

mike and amy vb said...

Yummy, thanks Lori!! I am excited, I really want to try the hummus!! I bought some from Costco, but I am excited to try yours.