Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cowboy Caviar Chili


So, I am always nervous to make chili. I haven't made it for a while cause I had a couple bad experiences, and tried some recipes I thought I would like, but were not good. I'm always kind of overwhelmed by what recipe to try because there are so many, and I always want to make this phenomenal chili, but like I said, I have tried some recipes that didn't work out very well. Tonight, using what I had on hand, I made up my own recipe. By no means is it phenomenal. It's not your ordinary chili, it kind of reminded me of that cowboy caviar salsa (in looks), so I decided to name it that. Here it is.

1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 cups beef stock (or broth)
1/2 onion
1 or 1/2 green pepper (whichever you prefer), chopped
1 or 1/2 red pepper, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 cup bbq sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander (opt.)
2 Tbsp Worchestershire (I can never spell or say that correctly), mine was reduced sodium so if yours is regular you might want to watch the salt
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
optional, 1/2 tsp dried cilantro, but I would have added fresh if I had it

Cook the peppers, onion and celery until tender. Add meat and brown, then add garlic. Add canned vegetables, stock, bbq sauce, tomato paste, and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer at least 10-15 minutes.

This is a sweeter chili. If you don't like your food to be sweet in the slightest (cough*Jason*cough), then maybe don't add as much bbq sauce, but I really liked the flavor it gave. This was kind of an experiment, but I liked how it turned out. I would love it if you guys made it and gave me some feedback.

No comments: