Monday, February 8, 2010

Waffles and Buttermilk syrup

I didn't get a picture of these cause I am out of batteries for my camera. Sorry!! Oh well, they are really good anyway, and really easy.

Waffles:

3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk
1/3 c veggie oil
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all your dry ingredients together in medium sized mixing bowl, then mix your wet ingredients together. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry. Don't over mix the batter. Let batter sit for 30 min (at room temp.) Cook in waffle iron. I just have a cheap waffle iron and this batter works just fine. I have also used it in a belgian waffle iron and it works great in it too. This recipie doesn't make that many waffles, so you may want to double the recipie.

Buttermilk Syrup:

1 C sugar
1/2 c buttermilk
3/4 c butter (I used one stick today (1/4 c) and it worked just fine. The only difference is that it wasn't quite as thick)
1 TBSP corn syrup
1/2 t bakning soda
1 TBSP vanilla
(today for some extra flavor I added a tsp of coconut flavoring. It was yummy!)

Put everything in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Be careful cause it boils up and will boil over easily. Boil stiring constantly for 3 min. (apx) It will be a pale brown color. If it goes too dark it will to turn into caramel.

Enjoy. Serve with fruit of choice. Bananas and toasted coconut are really good. So are strawberries and whipped cream.

1 comment:

Trent and Kim said...

I am so excited to make these! I just need a waffle iron!